Sunday, December 04, 2005

OMG!!! I GOT TAGGED!!! My profile-pic-figure recipe is up NOW!!!

I'M TAGGED!!! I'M TAGGED!!! Helen tagged me, OMG!!! You asked for it ah. I'm so gonna serve you what the both of us wrote here and here during Chinese New Year when we meetup at my place. For the rest of my dear readers, this will be a rare glimpse into my childhood. I thank god everyday that both my parents are still alive, healthy and kicking. So, all i did was to call my mom up just now. I've compiled quite an extensive list, but you wanted only 5 hoh.... phew. Gawd, did i really eat all those when i was growing up. No wonder i'm forever stuck at size Mini.... The rest of you, jeles leh.

Nah, my profile-pic-figure recipe. But then hoh, must start from young one leh....

1) Fung-Sar-Yuen aka Pil Chi Kit Teck Onn. Mom said i eat these like kacang puteh. You see ahh, when i was young, mom used to buy these in packs of 24s as emergency household medical items for everyday ailments like tummy upsets, diarrhoea and vomitting. She'll keep them in the larder, those very old-fashioned ones made from wood with doors of netting for ventilation purpose. Money doesnt come easy in my younger days, so, going the the doctor is actually a treat and as a last resort. Why a treat? Because i always get a sweet from the nurse/doctor.

For reasons known only to 6yrs old me then, i like eating those and would snack on them and even swallow them all at one go. No, not 1 bottle. But the entire box of 24 bottles. Mom got so frightened once when i ate them all and that i might get poisoned and die. She never bought them by the box again. Well, i'm a living testimony that you wont die of Fung-Sar-Yuen overdose. I havent had a taste of Fung-Sar-Yuen in ages. I must remember to eat a bottle when i go back to my mom's for a visit.

2) Ribena. Now, this is an ultra luxury item. We grew up in my maternal Grandma's house which we rented from her. It's a brick house in Simee, the kind that was built back-to-back to fit two separate households on a single piece of land. There's a family of 4 living at the front portion of the house. They are more financially better off than our family of 8. The lady buys her daughter Ribena concentrate to make drinks to take to school. I bring plain water in a pink rabbit tumbler with a long shoulder strap and white screwed-on cap to school.

I would occasinally bug my mom to buy me some to take school. Sorry lah, times were bad then. Do you know how hard it is for a young child to yearn for something we now take for granted? The girl would sometimes pour a lil bit of the Ribena concentrate into my bottle if she sees me looking at her tumbler whilst waiting for the schoolbus. I will only sip it lil bit by lil bit, trying hard to make it last forever. I hardly drink Ribena nowadays. Way back when i was young, we only have Ribena Concentrate. Today, it has mutated evolved into so many different forms. All the more easier to rot your teeth, guts and brains out.

3) Porridge. Mom would cook me porridge almost everyday. It's the fastest food to feed me coz she's very busy and comes home to feed me lunch everyday. If i dont finish my food by the time her lunchtime is up, it all goes to the family dog, Judy. I love to eat porridge with Marmite and have blogged about it here. It's easy to make. Just throw everything into the crockpot, pour "hot" water and cook for 2 hours, tadaa. Mom used to cook me porridge with minced pork or chicken cut into bite size. I hardly eat meat now. I only use dried scallop or the occasional fish. But most of the time, vegetables or chinese herbs like wolfberries, wai-san, yuk chuk and dates will do.

4) Twisties. Once in a while, mom and dad would go to the movies. Of course, i would beg to follow. How can, hoh. Go pak-toh also want to follow meh. So, they will always promise to buy back two small packets of twisties in both flavours for both my sis (the one i blogged about here), who's 4 yrs my senior and i. See, bribing us when we were still young.... hmmmmm. I still buy them when i get twisties-attack. Gordon loves them. Papa would glare at me whenever i buy some back. Ya lor, like i care.... once in a long while mah, wont die one. They now come in dunno how many flavors. But i still prefer the old-fashioned originals.

5) Water-crab soup with mou-kua (what do you call this in English? Hairy Gourd?). This recipe, according to mom, is for deworming. Must buy water-crabs, not meat-crabs. Mom will make this sweet soup like once in a month or whenever we show signs of needing one. You think we get Zentel then ah? But this is definitely more delicious. Should make some for Gordon to try one of these days.

That's about it lah.

I'm supposed to list the 4 tagged person before me:

1) Beer Brat
2) Sngl Guy
3) Yvy
4) Helen
5) Samm

And then i'm to tagged another 3 people and they are.... those i did not tag, dont get angry, k. I only get to choose 3

1) 5xmom - Lilian, you've got tagged so many times already. You sure you havent done this one ah? I'm not gonna dig through all your old posts ah. But neway, you can do it one, hoh. Supermom....
2) Greenapple - All this beautiful girl blog about is food, food, food and more food. I wonder if what she ate during her childhood had anything to do with her blog.
3) Chenyeng87 - Cos u're so big and i wonder what your mom stuffed you with when you were a kid. Dont lie to your aunt, k. Coz you wont like it when i find out the truth, hahaha.

Dont we just love getting tagged.... And remember to add the 4 person tagged before you with you as the 5th person on the list, k. Have fun.....

10 comments:

King's wife said...

isn't it wonderful to be tagged?? *eyes rolling*
really brings back memories, doesn't it?

narrowband said...

Oh boy I'm so gonna bookmark this recipe for future reference. lol

5xmom.com said...

Pinch, pinch, pinch.

Hrrmpph....I got tagged before but I did not do it 'cos I lazy to think back. You know, 40 years liao, memory very blur.

But ok la, will do it when I got the mood. It will be in my MalaysiaBest site, though.

I wonder if I start sallowing Fung Sar now can work anot?

Anonymous said...

hahaha!! i was ABT to say that lilian kena this one before but she lazu bum, dun wan to do. see-see, she admitted is liow. :)

anyway, we hardly had junk in the house, the closest i ever got was my 20sen keropok ikan. ;)

Greenapple said...

well, first of all, thank you so much for thinking of me .. muahaha. what an honour ...

secondly ... thank you for making me think think think ... to be honest with you ... my mind is still blank for now .. aigh. what did i have during my childhood?

oh well.. we shall see ...

Helen said...

Just found out we are only binded by good ol' twisties!! LOl

Snacking on Fong Sar Yuen? Ha HA Ha Damn Cute!! lol

sengkor said...

Luckily you snack on fung-sar-yuen and not panadol..

Samm said...

king's wife - yes, and brings back lots of caning memories too, lol.

narrowband - yes, you do that. this one ka-chuen-pei-fong y'know.

5xmom - i suggest you start with 12 bottles first and see how it goes. Remember to blog about it, hehe.

yvy - Neither did we. Twisties was the closest thing adi. And even that, it's only once in a bluemoon.

greenapple - i'm waiting, i'm waiting....

helen - Fung-Sar-Yuen really not that bad tasting one lah. Wah, guess i have to stock up on lots of twisties during CNY. Hubby will kill me tho.

seng kor - panadol bitter one leh, me when small not that stupid one lah.

Jeremy C said...

Fong Sar Yuen..? LOL
That's my fav when I diarrhea super long and hard... but the whole box?! *haiz*

ZMM said...

Foong Sar Yuen as snacks? That's an original one!!

*BLECH*

Twisties was good.. but to eat now.. too fattening.