Thursday, August 18, 2005

My baby is pointing a knife at himself!!

What would you do if you were in my position? I bet you'd be frantic, right? This happened once in my house, right after i've cleared everything out of harms way. I had to divert his attention away from the knife and safely replace it with a toy.

My son, Gordon, is barely two. He's very curious with what his surroundings has to offer. Be it at home or outside. He is unable to differentiate danger from safety. He can only mutter a few words, mostly when he's desperate. He's a very happy and easy-going child to care for. His eyes light up whenever he smiles. I've been taking care of him everyday ever since he came home from the hospital. You can say i'm very much a full-time mom and i'm very very attached to him.

Even though i live with my in-laws, i've never left Gordon in their care as i feel that caring for him is my responsibility. And this is something i would not relegate to someone else. Not until when i feel the time is right.

Gordon virtually plays by himself most of the time in the bedroom. I hardly let him out of the bedroom unless accompanied by me as this house is not baby-proofed. Gordon can walk steadily at 13 months. He loves to roam about the house and garden, and we are lucky to live in a corner lot with a spacious front yard and garden. We even have a playground right across the street and it even has a baby-friendly swing.

I do my best to keep an eye on him whenever i let him out to play. I make sure that every breakable item is out of my curious lil boy's reach. I'm not bothered when things get broken. I'm only worried that he might cut himself by the broken item as a result of his curiousity. Now, who wouldn't be, right.

I bought a safety gate to prevent him from straying into the kitchen. A safety gate is as it's name implies; a safety gate. I installed the gate at he kitchen doorway, so that he can be safe from kitchen hazards; knives, chemicals, scissors, glass items, etc.

I keep the bathroom door shut at all times so that he doesn't go inside, slip on the slippery wet tiles and hurt himself. The toilet door is also kept shut so that i wont find him stuck in the toilet bowl.

The staircase leading up to the attic is barricaded; that would keep him from climbing upstairs to the attic for the time being. But for how long?

The most annoying part is that no matter how much i try to keep Gordon safe, others couldn't care less. I've told them many times that the safety gate must be kept shut at all times. But no, i have to walk out of my room everytime someone enters the kitchen to make sure that the gate is shut after that. The same goes for the bathroom and toilet doors. I have to resort to telling my hubby to keep those darned doors/gate shut at all time in a loud and annoyed voice, so that "others" can hear my predicament.

Naw, forget about telling me to stick a notice on the doors and gate. They are all blind to it.

Everyone smokes in my house; except me. I gave that up the moment i knew i was carrying Gordon. And i did that cold turkey. You can find glasses, cigarettes, lighters, matches, ashtrays, etc; are left in the family lounge most of the time. I'm sick of having to clear the same table of the same items like 10 times a day. I can't be bothered now, i just throw them into the trashbin; ashtray, glass and all. Let "them" keep buying.

Gordon just broke Grandpa's glasses yesterday. Told him a zillion times to keep it out of his darling grandson's reach. And they have to tell me about it. I'm not sorry at all. He broke three of mine already; my fault and i learnt. Maybe it's their turn now.

My FIL has a bad habit of leaving things conveniently everywhere. Especially the knife which he uses as an envelope opener. He'll just leave it on the edge of the table in the family lounge everytime he finished using it. I think i should make that disappear too.

It's really insane. My lil boy is growing up so fast right before my eyes. And i wonder what mischief will he come up with tomorrow?? That's motherhood, and tomorrow's another day.

1 comment:

5xmom.com said...

Wuah! Luckily he did not injure himself. My monkey once rummaged through his bro's schoolbag and played with the pen knife. Kena nicked 3 places. But few weeks later, there he goes again. This time smarter liao, know can bleed so dare not go and hold the blade. *haih*