Sunday, October 23, 2005

She lost to a bunch of Bananas.

She's an old schoolmate of mine. Comes from a wealthy family. Married to a prick whose ego is comparable to Donald Trump's; minus the ca$h to upkeep it, but practises the 5 big vices religiously without fail every night.

We hardly spoke with each other during school days. Her group of friends are also wealthy (or wanna-bes); either born with a silver-spoon or married to it. With pretentious public behaviour and all dressed up to the nines even when going to the supermarket. They can be always be seen in a group whenever a promotion is on at any of the shopping malls. Hard to miss.

I bumped into her today. Well, it's not the first time we've bumped into each other. When it's virtually impossible for me to just walk past without having to greet her, i'd just give her a nod with a smile or either say a "Hi, long time no see. How are your kids doing in school.... yadda, yadda, yadda... bye?" (Sian)

But instead of the usual small talk, i said (though i very much itched to bitch-slap her instead), "I'd be trully ashamed of myself if i were you. No wonder he's out every night."

Why?

I was browsing the supermarket aisles leisurely, searching for soba noodles.

She was with her mom today, both dressed up equally as elegantly as any wealthy woman would be. The envy of any other female walking past them. Her 5yr old son was standing in the supermarket trolley.

Suddenly i heard it. Or should i say almost everyone within a 10ft radius would have heard it.

Her son accidentally stepped onto the bunch of bananas in the trolley. She immediately launched into a barrage of expletives that brought any nearby female to shame; all the while smacking him on the head with her clutch bag. Her mom was not of much help either. Worsening an already ugly scenario with unnecessary comments.

What happened to her? All her son did was step on a bunch of bananas. Certainly he doesnt deserve to be reprimanded and humiliated that way in full public view. It all screams of child-abuse. Her public outburst leaves little to be desired. She came to her senses when she caught sight of me looking at her. And immediately started to pat her son on the head, pretending to be apologetic at the same time.

I was disgusted. Disgusted at her for losing it that way. And in full public view. A zillion questions ran through my head, it's nauseating.

Why the sudden change of behaviour?

Why put her son in the trolley in the first place when he can walk?

Is a bunch of bananas enough to trigger off an ugly side of her?

Why pretend to be nice again when she saw me?

What kind of a mother is she when she's at home?

What other forms of discipline is the child getting back home?

etc..... etc.....

Which brings me to remind myself NEVER to behave like that. Be it publicly nor at home. Being a mother is a heavy responsiblity. Child-upbringing is NEVER an easy thing to do but with some ingredients like patience, lots of love, dedication and attention, the experience is truly a rewarding one. I'm learning something new everyday.

Like the saying:

"The hand that rocks the cradle is the hand that rules the world"

I cannot imagine what her children will grow up to be.

I do not know why she behaved like that that day. Is she seeking for some form of attention? Whatever it is, I hope she can sit down and contemplate her actions a little.

I cannot remember where i read this from but this is the prayer that i say before i go to bed every night:

"God, make me a better parent.
May i never punish them for my own selfish satisfaction, or to show my power.
Bless me with bigness to grant them all their reasonable requests,
And the courage to deny them privileges i know will do them harm."

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who would envy that kind of behavior?

ps. damn chun profile pic lah!!!! Scheksi!!

King's wife said...

hah, so much for her elegance and immaculate appearance! Pretentious..

btw, beautiful last words in your post..we can all learn from it.

Samm said...

Simmie - ten kiu

King's wife - hope she can too

Anonymous said...

You can deceive everyone at one time, you cannot deceive everyone all the time. I pity her also. Why is her self esteem so low she cannot face the world as who she really is?

Thank God Gordon is blessed with a sensible mom like you!! :-)

Samm said...

helen - I'm thankful to God for being blessed with Gordon in the first place :) I'm so lucky.

adriene said...

that was a nice prayer for parents.

Samm said...

adriene - yes it is.