Wednesday, March 09, 2022

Maimo Watch User Review

I always wonder how many steps i walk each day. I've been using my phone all these while. And whilst it does a good job, it can only track so much as i do not hold the phone all day long, nor do i hang it from my neck whenever i'm not using it. After seeing friends posting pics of their workout with readings from their smartwatch, i wanted to get one for myself. 

Exercise is the last thing on my mind. I work from home and hardly ever step foot out of the house unless i have to go buy food or to the grocery store. I have never used a smartwatch before. My only reason for buying one is to track my steps. I'm not looking for precision reading with it. Just need a general idea of how many steps i actually walk indoors in a single day.

My Maimo Watch arrived about two weeks ago. Bought it from Shopee for Rm148. It has a rose gold casing, and comes with two sets of straps. White straps on the watch, green straps inside the box. Along with a charging cable and a user manual. I plugged it to the charger to turn it on to activate it. Then downloaded the Maimo Fit app to my phone and connected the watch to it via bluetooth. Its default watch face is perfect for a start. At a glance, it tells me the day and date, time, heart rate per minute, battery level, weather, steps and calorie burnt readings. There are 4 watch faces installed on the watch, and i can add two more from the app. I can even upload own picture. But i cannot delete off the default 4. Not that i mind.


The Maimo Watch has a large 1.69" TFT-LCD screen. It is not the best, but it is large and clear enough. I prefer a large screen to see the tiny reading easily. Scrolling from screen to screen is fair, with not much lag. We are all spoilt by our phones scrolling capabilities. For what i paid for, this watch is doing fine.  It's also 5ATM waterproof but this is not my concern as the nearest to water that this watch goes to is the kitchen sink :p

Battery management is good for this watch. I have been wearing it for about a week and it still has about 40% juice left. My settings are, no raise to wake, 5sec screen time-out. Whatsapp and email notification. Sedentary and drink water reminders. Daily 6pm alarm. I have to press the button to check any reading, and i do fiddle with it a lot, haha. Takes about 2.5hrs to fully charge from low, and is said to last for 21 days! Got or not!

Scrolling the led screen to the left shows:



1) Activity history of kcal reading, steps taken, and the number of times i have gotten up from my chair to take a walk. Yes, i like this feature as i tend to get lost in my work and sit for hours on end at my table. It notifies me to get up and walk 100 steps and will keep reminding me to meet the target with the remaining steps i have to take, lol.


2) The weather. Self explanatory, ya.


3) SpO2 Blood oxygen levels. Well, i cant tell how accurate this is as i dont have an oximeter to gauge it. I dont really need this and but i can say it usually shows anywhere between 96 to 98%. I guess it's all good with me.


4) Exercise modes. Like a lot of exercise modes to choose from! The Maimo watch has walking to running, yoga, swimming, cycling, etc. I have used the walking setting before to test how many steps i can do in 10 minutes. Well, I walked from my bedroom upstairs, down the staircase, through the hall to the kitchen and back up to my bedroom again. Repeated this until time is up with a reading of say about 1000 steps, with heart rate and calories burnt readings. Not bad. I can do this to meet the 6000 steps i have set at the Maimo Fit app on the phone. Doable for me as long as i get up each time it reminds me to. All the more reason to live in my hotpants and bratops.


5) Stress levels. I do get agitated at times whenever things or work do not go as planned. The watch do beep me whenever it detects this and reminds me to just chillax a bit. 


6) Heart rate. It does show a high reading whenever i feel my heart beats fast, especially when i feel anxious over something. 


Scrolling up from the main interface presents the notifications screen. I have set it to only notify me of incoming emails, and whatsapp messages. If my phone is set to disallow notifications from my facebook, it will not show up even if i have set it to notify me  from the Maimo Fit app. 


Scrolling down shows the quick settings interface. 

1) Night mode. a.k.a DND mode.

2) Raise to wake. The watch screen activates whenever i raise my hand to check the time. This is good whenever i'm out or walking about a lot. I deactivated it to conserve battery. Screen on duration is set to 5secs. Max is 20secs.

3) Brightness. I can set this from 1 to 5, with 1 being the dimmest. Chose this to conserve battery levels. Level 5 is good whenever i'm outdoor under the bright sun. 

4) Find My Phone. I like this! For as long as it is connected to the phone within range of the bluetooth, i can press one button and my phone will beep 4 times. I tend to forget whether it's upstairs or downstairs, lol. This Maimo Watch does not have GPS, ya.





Pressing on the button at the side of the watch will bring up a list of functions. Here, i can access in-depth settings for the watch. 


Another feature that i like about the Maimo Watch is it reminds me to drink water. To be honest, i have never been good at drinking water. Now, i do get about 1.5 to 2 liters a day. Not bad, right.



The Maimo Watch can be connected to Alexa too. I have already connected it but have yet to get it to work. It is constantly stuck at "listening" but does not provide an answer to my commands like "What's the time", "Set a 10mins timer", you get what i mean?


I believe i have covered all that i know about the Maimo Watch as per my personal usage. More settings can be found in the Maimo Fit app. Where i can tweak the daily target setting like number of steps, number of times to get up and walk, calories to burn, and how many hours of sleep to achieve each day. For Rm148, the Maimo Watch is worth it. And to those reading this post trying to guess what's that green thing on my watch strap, well, it is a sleeve that i crocheted as my wrist is really tiny. It is to keep the watch sensors close to the skin for better accuracy.

No comments: