Sunday, December 31, 2006

Mommy's milk is best for baby

Malcolm will be turning 6mths old next week. I'm still breastfeeding him exclusively and am strongly in advocacy of breastfeeding babies exclusively for the first 6 months of their life. Babies get all the right amount of nutrients from their mother's milk, hence there is no need to supplement their diet with anything else during this period. I also breastfed my first son, Gordon for a full 13months before he weaned off by himself.



Pregnant mothers seeking information on breastfeeding can visit sites like lalecheleague.org. It's an international breastfeeding support group. I used a breastpump during the first two weeks as my milk-flow isnt regulated yet and to help with my engorgement. Many have asked me for breast pump reviews. Well, i've not used many, but Medela and Avent are very popular brands. Personally, i prefer to use a battery-operated pump; less tiring and empties my breast very fast.



Do try to breasfeed your baby for as long as possible. Mommy's milk is the best food for baby. Nothing else comes close.





No comments: