Friday, March 10, 2006

It fell down onto the floor right before my eyes, yuckss!!!!

I know i havent been blogging much lately. Been bogged down with post-CNY work but this i have to 8. I just got back from lunch with hubby and Gordon. We went to one of our regular coffee-shop as usual.

Hubby ordered food for the both of us whilst i tended to the drinks. When the food arrived, i fed Gordon first and ate in between feeding him. We were seated right in front of a stall selling soups and the fler there sold steamed fish and noodles as well.

I looked up suddenly and saw the stall owner holding a metal plate with a big fish over a huge plastic rubbish bin and he was draining away some excessive liquid into it. And then i saw it, the fish head plonked down onto the floor right in front of me, sei mm sei. Right next to the bin, and the stall owner saw me noticing it also and kept giving me stares whilst he continued with the preparation.

I quickly whipped out my handphone intending to snap a pic of it. Sorry, no luck. It was picked up before i can even activate the camera function, diuuu.... Yes, he was that efficient and lightning fast.

I told hubby and he was nonchalant about it. So, i asked him whether he thinks the stall owner will pick up the fish head and recycle it or not. This conversation took place:

Hubby: You think the owner's gonna serve fish without a head?

Me: But then the both us saw it drop down onto the floor woh.

Hubby: He'll most prolly wash it and boil it once more before serving it to the customer.

Me: Sei-lorrrr, how can like that??

Hubby: Like the customer will ever know....

Me: We know, we saw it happen what.

Hubby: Then dont look at him lah, save him the embarrassment of us knowing it.

Now, put yourselves in my shoes. What would you all have done then?

A: Pretend nothing happened and continue eating with a nauseating and guilty feeling?

B: Confront the stall owner about it and tell him not to serve the fish without the head?

C: Inform the customer should you see that the fish is being served "with" the head?

*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*

Well, the fish was eventually served without the head. I bet you if we hadnt witnessed the entire "fish-head falling-onto-the-floor" event, it would definitely have ended up at the customer's table. You know how unethical most hawkers can be, right. They have this kinda policy whereby "What-the-customer-dont-know-wont-hurt-them".

As for me, i would have walked right up to the stall owner if i see that he had recycled the fish head back onto the plate and advise him not to serve it. I know damn well for sure hubby wouldnt have done that and preferred me not to be such a 8-poh and create unnecessary problems. Because one thing for sure, to be safe, we can never know what the stall owner's reactions might be.

Well, the unsuspecting customers had better thank their lucky stars today. If not, i'm sure they would be enjoying their fish with recycled fish head.

10 comments:

ZMM said...

I'm sure most restaurant owners will just recycle the head, or whatever that has fallen on the floor..

For me, I'll inform the customers.. it's up to the customers if he/she still wants to eat it or confront the owner..

Jeremy C said...

what to do, i think this sort of things happen all the time wherever you eat. i guess the best thing to do is:

1. go to a restaurant which is hygienic (ie clean environment, kitchen etc); OR

2. go to a restaurant which is operated by people you trust; OR

3. go to a restaurant where you can see them cook (some have "open kitchen" concept); OR

4. close one eye and pray don't kena diarrhea; OR

5. cook fish at home.

Anonymous said...

Tell us where is this coffee shop so I won't go there !

Samm said...

Zara's mama - I cant do that as i'm seated right in front of the stall and the owner would definitely see me at it..... sigh. Cant even be a good samaritan without hurting anyone.

Jeremy c - eating out is just like gambling with ur stomach. you never know what they'll do to your food.

peng - The one beside/behind Kek-Lok-Seah temple in Pasir Puteh. Jalan what , i really dont know. It's the stall that sells double-boiled soup and noodles. You wont miss it. Sure i wont get sued ah for this info????

L B said...

I am sure a lot of restaurants get away with such dirty tricks.. I've worked in one before, and the things I see going on in the kitchen (dropped on floors, sneezed into food, picking nose, unclean hands, dandruff, etc etc), it's enough to put anyone from ever stepping foot in a restaurant again... but thank god it was such a long time ago, and I've grown out of my phobia. That and pot-luck..

Those customers weren't complaining they were missing a head on their fish?!! Screaming murder?!! *grin*

Thanks for your wishies wishes too :-)...

Samm said...

lb - i truly understand all this. making a living is hard enuf already for many hawkers, making an honest living is definitely harder for most. if i were the hawker, i damn well know what i'll do for sure. I'll make them another one.......... naw, bluff lah, this will only happen on tv documentaries; where got such political correctness wan...

5xmom.com said...

You saved someone from lau-sai. But if I am you, I won't dare to confront the stall owner la. Later he brings parang how? My head also roll.

BTW, waiting for your mail.

Cocka Doodle said...

I recalled those days when I worked as a waiter in a pub during holidays. There was this rude customer who like to holler at the staff.
One of my colleagues used to rub the fork and knife on the dirtiest part of the carpet before bringing it to him. We were bad! LOL

Helen said...

Surprisingly, men are less confrontational than women... lol Like Cocka said, it's better not to confront them... unless u dun intend to go back again.. EVER.

I was doing waitressing in a hotel and another dept got a prize. The kitchen (my dept) was supposed to make them a pizza for celebration and u know what?? Later, the winning dept came and complained that there are funny looking curly hairs on the pizza wor??? MUAHRHARHAR Compliments from my dept, no doubt!

wombie said...

helen: curly hairs on pizza? eewwww

samm: If I'm at a well-known establishment, if something is wrong with their food (undercooked, weird stuff floating on it) I'll confront them. Sometimes I feel paiseh. but if I owned a restaurant, I'd want my customers to tell me how I can improve. I don't want them to sue me until pants drop down. As for hawkers and smaller restaurants, I feel a little hesitant to confront them because I'm afraid they'll 'ka liu' (add extras) into my food.