Sunday, March 21, 2010

Is your child Autistic?

Many of my friends asked me how I determined that Gordon is a special child. Well, it wasn't me. It was my Obstetrician that found him a little bit different from other kids his age when I was pregnant with Malcolm. He referred me to his doctor friend to have him assessed. Through his advice, I learned to understand my child and bring him up with less frustration. I also have a friend who has a special child like mine. She took him for assessment when he didn't start talking at an age a normal child would. Just like me, she went through lots of frustrations too. With help from Dr. Toni Atkinson, she learned to understand her child's behavior better. Dr. Atkinson provides diagnostic psychological assessment services to children who may be presenting with Autism. Children as young as 12 months of age can be evaluated with the ADOS or as part of a full developmental assessment. This is to help identify the child's strengths and weaknesses. So, if you feel that your child is different from other kids his age, it's a good idea to have him assessed by a doctor right away.