Sunday, May 07, 2006

It's been a long week.

It's been a rather busy working week since hubby got back from KL. I've been helping him out a fair bit. His time is pretty much divided between KL and Ipoh right now, travelling once every fortnight or so. Away for 4 - 5 days at a time. I quite like that, gives me some badly needed breather.


A short recap of the week that was:

Monday - being a holiday, we stayed home to avoid the crowd everywhere.

Tuesday - Went to the bank, then took Gordon to Jusco for a stroll and bought him a bottle of Blackmoore's multivits. I wanted to buy some nappies. Niamah, have to fork out an additional Rm8/pack just for convenience sake? Chisin. Might as well get it on my way home at the Chinese Medical Hall. It started raining right after we arrived, so, we were stuck there till around 6.30pm.

I'm hungry mom.... hurry......


This bun is good, mom.... i want more....

Wednesday - Went for my 28th week checkup. My Obs discussed VBAC (Vaginal Birth After Caesarean) with me in the hope that i just might consider it so that i can have more than 3 kids. Why in the world would i want so many kids? I dont think i'll have more than 3. I might even stop after Malcolm. See how first lah. I know having a girl would be nice. Well, if only i can call the shots. But, it's still too early to decide. Let me do some reading on this topic and see if it interests me or not.

Malcolm is growing beautifully inside me. I'll post some pics up later. Stupid cd-drive refuse to read the cd and i dont feel like figuring out why now. He's grown almost double from my previous visit to nearly 1.1kg now. I managed to put on 1.5kgs in 3 weeks time. Nearly half a kilo a week, not bad. I must be the skinniest mum at 7mths pregnant. Where on earth can you find another one weighing 45kgs only?

Been thinking about cordblood banking for Malcolm. Can anyone tell me more about this?

Thursday - Was supposed to meetup with Patrick Teoh And TV Smith for tea as they were down for an appointment. Mission Impossible. Right after lunch upon reaching home, Gordon ran a temperature. I tested and it was around 102 deg. Wouldnt nap for long and was crying and very clingy. Only wanted to lie down on my lap with me sitting crossed-legged in bed.

He wouldnt eat nor drink at all. I cant even suspect anything at all. He wouldnt let me check his mouth to see if he's teething (at 32mths????). Doesnt look like mumps to me also. Well, since he wouldnt eat, i just gave him yogurt to fill his tummy which he gladly ate, and sipped on his tumbler occasionally. Whined all the time.

I'm not the type that runs to the Paed for every lil thing. Yogurt with Live Cultures will normally help with minor ailments, better than any drugs that your Paed prescribes. His temperature subsided by morning but he didn't sleep well that night. Neither did i, naturally. Was up monitoring him and peeing every two hours myself.

Hubby received news at 9.40pm that his longtime schoolmate/buddy was admitted to the ICU and passed away at 10pm. He was very upset. Myself too. Too young to die. Not even 41. It was only a couple of years ago that we attended his wedding and now he's gone. Left behind a wife and 3 beautiful daughters, aged 2, 5 and 8.

Friday - Went to Oldtown for lunch and another round of banking. Then, went to Parkson on the way home to buy bread and some cakes at my friend's bakery, Bread Legend. Came back, bathed Gordon and put him to bed for his nap. Later in the evening, took him along to deliver a Colema Therapy Machine. Had dinner at Let's Rock before we went home.

Saturday - Had brunch. Went to 7-eleven to pick up a few tubs of yogurt since Gordon ate them all on Thursday. That would count as gai-gai to Gordon cause 7-eleven is air-conditioned and i let him run around the aisles and open & close some fridge doors. He'll gladly get off the car without a fuss upon reaching home.

Home the whole night as hubby's gone to pay his last respects to his friend.

So, that's my week. I'm going to bed now. Damn sleepy.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know about cord blood banking. They have such blood banks in Singapore, but I'm not too sure about it in Malaysia.

They take the remainder of blood in the umbilical cord of a newborn baby and they store it, like how they store blood from blood donation drive. This blood has the exact purpose or usage of other donated blood, the difference is just that the blood comes from a newborn baby's umbilical cord.

The information I gave may not be sufficient because I read all these from my MUET Reading books.

Anonymous said...

The cord blood is enriched with stem cells. Cord blood stem cells serves a better purpose than bone marrow.

But each collection of cord blood only yields about 50 to 100mL.

It is used to treat blood disorders and also diseases related to genetics, I think.

Samm said...

There are only 2 such banks in Malaysia. Cryocord and Stemlife. I'm doing some reading on what to question them during my meeting with them these coming weeks.

Wah, u've been doing some reading on this also ah. Now that the technology is made available here, might as well make full use of it. Thx for the info.

Nick said...

Shopping Mum was also asking about the cord blood thing here.

You can also read more from Stemlife's blog.

Howsy said...

Hi matey how you doin'?

What's with the obsession with cord blood banking? My sis is pregnant now and her doctor is trying to sell this service to her too.

Yeah, cord blood banking is for stem cells, which can virtually divide into any cell types in your body. It is primary to treat leukemia (touch wood). Stem cells also have unlimited potential to treat cancer, heart disease, neurodegenerative disease etc etc but they are still under extensive research now.

King's wife said...

Good to know that your pregnancy is getting on splendidly. And yes, you are the ONLY 45kg mum who's 7mths pregnant!

And, sorry to hear about your friend's passing..

Samm said...

Daddy Nick - Thx for the info and stemlife's blog. Will check them out.

Howsy - I've done lots of reading as to what it can do. Since there's only 2 such banks here in Malaysia. Am trying to see what they have to offer b4 i go ahead with it.

king's wife - sad story, hoh.... 45kgs only. Time to eat more Magnums and tiramisus, lolz

5xmom.com said...

Too many topics, can't remember what except VBAC. I had my #2 with that. Hard work, I can tell you. My #3 was also by vaginal birth. My #1 was delivered by c-sec cos he was too big. If you ask me, I would say, go for it for the experience of having a huge chunk of meat passed through our vagina. I am a sadist, you know?

5xmom.com said...

In all, I had 3 c-secs and two vaginal births. If I have a choice, I want vaginal birth. Dun worry, the lubang won't be loosen or koyak one. In fact, you can ask your doc to stitch tight-tight somemore. LOL.

ZMM said...

On a brighter note.. you are going to the bank a lot which means lots of income.. :P

I'm very worried about fever.. everytime when Zara gets a fever, I get absolutely worked up.. Normally will rush her to a paed if it doesn't go away after 1day of paracetamol (scared will affect the brain). But if she's coughing or flu, I'll let her fight off the virus.