Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Stop banging my door!!

This post is dedicated to all the kaypoh SILs in my life; too bad.

As the chinese saying goes: "A country has it's law, a house has it's rules".

Meaning one has to obey the country's law they are residing in and also the houses' rules they are visiting.

I live with my in-laws. This is utter bliss, since i stay home with Gordon most of the time, there's company. And Gordon gets more pampered too. It took me years to build a good MIL/FIL/DIL relationship. It wasnt easy, trust me. I earned it. And i love and respect both of them dearly.

They found me weird when i first came into the family. What kind of person am i; who doesnt keep a regular 9 to 5 job? Goes to sleep in the wee hours of the morning and not get up till noon? They associate sitting in front of the computer with playing games. They took quite a long time to finally accept the fact that this is the kind of lifestyle that they have to put up with. This was before Gordon came into our lives.

Now, I dont have to worry about leaving the house empty when i go out to run my errands. Gordon gets cared for when i had to go out without him; which is seldom. Grandma buys Gordon lots of stuffs. Everything is provided for so i save a lot in the long run.

One set back is i have to bear with the visits from relatives almost daily. They drop by unannounced most of the time. Not that i mind, of course. But they think they can do what they like since this is their parents' house and act as though they still live here.

My room is right next to the kitchen with the dining table just outside the window. I've told them numerous times to keep their kids out of my room and their voices down but too bad, they just couldnt be bothered. Thus, i have to keep my door shut whenever they come. I'm not the unsociable kind of person. I just do not like to be disturbed when i'm working at my computer; and that's what i do whole day long; apart from taking care of Gordon of course.

I'm sick of telling them that 2pm - 6pm is Gordon's nap time, also my time-out. And i'd truly appreciate it if they could just not come at this hour. It's really sickening when Gordon gets awaken and cries from all the loud voice coming in from the kitchen. Wouldnt you get mad? And they cant resist banging at my door when it's shut. Dont they understand that a closed door means "Do-Not-Disturb"? The words "respect" and "privacy" just do not exist in their lives.

And believe you me, mothers will always stand by their daughters, no matter what. I couldnt stand it anymore and screamed at one of them the other day. Almost kicked her out of the house. Mil was rather pissed and brought up the subject later on in the evening as soon as she sees me coming out of the room. I explained (in a calm and nice tone of course) to her that i'm not tolerating this any longer (as i've told them why many times before) and also told her matter of factly that i will not hesitate to repeat the same again. Well, she didnt question any further because knowing me (after all the ups and downs, who wouldnt), she knows i mean it. I'm sure the message is clear enough and will get conveyed to all intended recipients.

Remember:

1) "Dont think that when the tiger is quiet, you can treat it like a sick cat"

2) "Dont force the tiger to jump over the wall"

6 comments:

Samm said...

matakecil - i do not like to drag the men into petty things like this. he knows me too well, and he cant stop me if i choose to retaliate if they keep climbing over my head. but of course, i do give him n my ILs face. i'm too nice for that, ahem *cough*

Anonymous said...

Nice blog, see you at internet.
Regards from Sapin
:-)

Anonymous said...

Hello!! Use smaller ads for google aswell as the search tool and you sidebar will go to the right place again ;)

Greetings from spain.

P.S. Maximun size is 210px more/less.

MissM said...

Eek. If i had to live with in laws it would have to be a very big house. VERY big. I mean, it's nice living with others, but one still needs alone time once in a while. Not to mention respect for privacy.

Feel for ya

Samm said...

Yes, and i've somehow manages to turn "patience" and "tolerance" to an art....... *cough*

Anonymous said...

Hi from California.
Read your post. Maybe you could take the baby out for a stroll, or a movie? Good for you to have alone time, and the baby will probably sleep right through it. (^_^)